- The National Park of the Samaria gorge is one of the longest gorges in Europe. A walk of 16 km and an altitude of 1230 meters will amaze you and create one of your most exciting tours in Crete
- We collect you from your hotel early in the morning to make the most of the cooler conditions and drive to the entrance of the gorge on the Omalos Plateau
- During the drive your guide will brief you on your hike and collect the entrance and ferry fees so you can skip the queues for tickets
- En route to the gorge we make a quick stop for breakfast or coffee at a local taverna
- We start our descent around 07.45 – you might like to rent hiking poles from our guide
- Everybody walks at their own pace and not with the whole group – our guide brings up the rear in case anyone needs help.
- As you descend make sure to look out for the rare flora and fauna of the gorge
- Have your camera ready for the famous ‘Iron Gates’ (Sideroportes) where the track narrows to a few metres between 300m cliffs
- After walking for around 5-6 hours (so early afternoon) we come to the coastal village of Agia Roumeli – we arrange a meeting point so the guide can give you the ferry tickets
- You have several hours free time to find a taverna or a swim at the Libyan Sea
- At 17.30 we take the ferry for a cruise along the picturesque southern coastline
- When we reach the village of Sougia, coaches will be waiting to return you to your pick up point, getting you home sometime around 20:00
- You’ll sleep well tonight!
PLEASE NOTE THIS TOUR INVOLVES A 16KMS HIKE (5-6 HOURS), MOSTLY DOWNHILL, OVER SOMETIMES ROCKY TERRAIN
IT’S A FABULOUS WALK BUT BRING PLENTY OF WATER, SNACKS, SUNSCREEN AND A HAT
ORGANISED TOUR PRICE OF €26