- Οur excursion commences with a visit to Filerimos where we visit the ruins and foundations of Zeus’s temple Polieus, dating back to the 4th century BCE, the Athena Polias dating back to the 3rd century BCE and a Doric fountain dating back to the 4th century BCE.
- We also visit Byzantine and medieval structures such as the church of Our Lady of Filerimos, built by the Knights in the 15th century CE, and the Church of St. George, which has wall-paintings dating back to the 14th and 15th century CE including a striking depiction of the 12 stations of the Cross
- We continue on to the enchanting Valley of the Butterflies. It’s lush, green and beautiful with little wooden bridges over a tinkling river, and stone steps along an uphill path which leads to the Monastery of the Virgin of Kalopetra, built in 1784
- The valley is a unique natural park where each year, from June to September, thousands of multicolored butterflies appear. They live here attached to the tree trunks living from the sap, then lay their eggs
- The valley is a wonderful place to walk in under the shade of the trees amongst the characteristic scent of the pine resin. The coolness from the abundantly flowing waters makes this a little paradise even in the hot days of midsummer
6-7 hours: pick up time from hotel is 09:00 or upon request